Are you looking for the best WordPress popup plugins for your small business website?
Using a popup plugin makes it easier to turn website visitors into subscribers and customers, resulting in higher conversion rates.
Although many different popup solutions are available, some may affect your site’s performance or lack the functionality you require. Because of this, we’ve hand-picked the very best popup plugins for your WordPress website.
Why Do You Need a WordPress Popup Plugin?
Popup plugins enhance the functionality, effectiveness, and lead generation of your website. You can use them to collect your visitors’ email addresses and other relevant customer information.
On average, email popups convert 3.8% of website visitors. Consequently, they’re useful for both growing your email list and promoting special offers on eCommerce websites. If you’re running a sale or promoting a product or service, a popup can ensure that every visitor is aware of the deal.
The same is true for cart abandonment. By offering deals to visitors about to leave your site with items in their carts, you can convert these abandoned carts into sales.
Moreover, if you position your popups strategically, you can guide visitors towards taking the actions you want, whether that’s signing up for a newsletter, making a purchase, or downloading a resource.
What Are the Best WordPress Popup Plugins?
The best WordPress popup providers make adding popup campaigns to your website easy. They should also have advanced targeting and customization options that work seamlessly with your WordPress theme.
Here are some of the best WordPress popup plugins that we’ll review below:
Its user-friendly popup form builder comes with advanced targeting rules and personalization features. They allow you to create different types of popups and campaigns, including lightbox popups, video popups, slide-in forms, fullscreen welcome mats, and more.
Each campaign type comes with dozens of templates and is fully customizable using OptinMonster’s drag-and-drop builder. The easy design options allow you to customize colors, fonts, images, text, and form fields without writing HTML or CSS.
With OptinMonster’s targeting options, you can show your opt-in forms to the right people at the right times to boost conversions. For example, its Exit-intent technology lets you display popups when users are about to leave your site.
You can also set trigger options to show popups on specific pages, after a time delay, or to users coming from a specific website, such as Facebook or Twitter.
- Drag-and-drop opt-in-form builder
- Mobile responsive popup templates
- Multiple campaign types
- On-site, geolocation, device-based, and page-level targeting
- Yes/No and two-step popups
- Countdown timer functionality
- Ad-block detection
- Exit-intent popups
- Email marketing and CRM integration
- A/B testing
- Campaign analytics
- The free version is only available through the OptinMonster plugin.
- Would like to see more template options.
Pricing: Starts from $9 per month, billed annually.
TustPulse is a popular WordPress popup plugin that uses the power of social proof to increase engagement and boost conversions on your website. It lets you display user activity, such as recent sales notifications, to trigger the fear of missing out (FOMO) in visitors.
The FOMO effect uses the actions of others to compel people to take similar actions. By using FOMO on your website, you can encourage visitors to make a purchase or sign up for your email list by showing them that other people are doing the same.
TrustPulse’s popup boxes are less intrusive than regular modal popups but just as powerful. In fact, research shows that they can increase sales by up to 15%.
The popups are easy to create with various customization options. They also include smart targeting, real-time tracking, and an intuitive user interface.
- Easy for beginners to use
- Increase urgency with FOMO popups
- Display recent purchases, activity, and signups
- Create unlimited popups with smart targeting
- Discreet popup design
- SaaS solution works on any website
- Integrates with Google Analytics
- A limited number of sessions in the free version
Pricing: The premium version starts from $9 per month for up to 2,500 visitors.
Thrive Leads is another top popup plugin for WordPress from the team behind Thrive Themes. Used by over 114,000+ website owners, it’s an easy-to-use popup tool for any business type.
This popular WordPress plugin has various beautiful popup templates, allowing you to create inline forms, fly-ins, 2-step email opt-ins, screen filler overlays, and much more. Its drag-and-drop editor is also easy to use, allowing you to customize forms to match your branding.
With Thrive Leads’ advanced targeting, you can show personalized offers to your visitors based on blog posts, tags, categories, and more.
- Works with Thrive’s page builder plugin
- Many pre-made opt-in templates
- Built-in lead magnet asset delivery
- Multiple trigger options
- Advanced features for on-page targeting
- Integrates with popular email marketing services
- Includes A/B testing
- Slightly slower than OptinMonster
- A/B testing may not work correctly on certain hosting providers
- Little explanation of what Lead Groups, Lead Shortcodes, and Thrive Boxes are.
Pricing: Starting from $99 per year.
UserFeedback is one of the best WordPress plugins for displaying popup survey forms on your website. From the team behind MonsterInsights, it lets you display survey popups to collect valuable feedback from website visitors in real time.
The pre-made form questions templates allow you to ask dozens of questions to learn more about user experience, content engagement, customer satisfaction, and more. You can also capture email addresses and gather star ratings and customer reviews.
Moreover, UserFeedback offers device targeting, display timing, survey run time, and many other display settings.
- Over 20+ customizable popup question templates
- Add form fields like Net promoter score, multiple choice, star rating, and email opt-ins for list-building
- Display popups on specific pages
- Customize the popup widget with your logo and styling
- Redirect users to a custom page after form completion
- Built-in reporting and Google Analytics integration
- Schedule form popups
- Limited to one type of popup
- Limited free version
Pricing: Starts from $49.50 per year.
Bloom is another popular popup plugin from Elegant Themes, a commercial WordPress themes shop that’s been around for years. Its standalone popup tool offers WordPress users an easy way to display popups on their websites.
The user interface is straightforward, with everything you need to create, customize, and launch popups. You can use pre-made templates for different popup types and tailor them to your needs in the drag-and-drop editor.
It also offers settings to set time delays, on-click or scroll triggers, and page or post-level targeting. You can even display opt-ins in your WordPress sidebar.
- Customizable popup templates
- Automatic lightbox popups
- Basic form triggers and time delay
- Page level and post targeting
- A/B testing feature
- Integrates with email service providers
- Limited template customization options
- No exit-intent trigger
- Missing important popup types
- The number of templates can become overwhelming
- No free version
Pricing: Part of an Elegant Themes membership starting from $89 per year.
While Sumo integrates with WordPress, you’ll need to create popups on the Sumo website. The campaign builder is more challenging than other solutions on this list and isn’t the easiest to find your way around.
However, this plugin does let you build free opt-in forms and popups, comes with various styles, and includes basic split testing.
- Free popup form builder
- Display timed popups across your website
- Add social media share buttons
- WooCommerce integration
- Works with popular email marketing solutions
- Visitor-facing branding on the free version
- Expensive premium plans
- Somewhat sluggish interface
- Lacks other form types, such as contact forms
Pricing: Sumo has a forever-free plan. Premium plans start at $39 per month.
Popup Maker is another free plugin for WordPress popups. With an average rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars, it’s a popular solution for small businesses.
With this plugin, you can create several popups, including slide-ins, EU cookie notices, and more. It also allows popup triggers with time delay and on-click triggers for CTA buttons, navigation menus, and sidebars.
The plugin offers basic customization options, including controlling the popup sizing, position, and animation. It’s also compatible with popular form builders like WPForms, Mailchimp for WordPress, and Formidable Forms.
- Free WordPress popup maker
- Useful triggers and time delays
- Various customization options
- Form builder compatibility
- Includes an exit-intent feature
- Integrates with email providers like Aweber, Mailchimp, and more
- Exit intent isn’t free
- No free analytics feature
- Requires a premium plan for advanced targeting
Pricing: Available for free. Premium pricing starts at $87 per year.
Which WordPress Popup Plugin Is Best?
After looking at the pros and cons of the solutions on this list, we conclude that OptinMonster is the best WordPress popup plugin. It’s the fastest popup builder with extensive tools that help boost conversion rates.
You can display popups virtually anywhere on your website and use on-page targeting to show them at the right time to the right people.
OptinMonster is also the easiest popup maker to use, with countless pre-made templates and a powerful drag-and-drop editor. It works seamlessly with popular email marketing providers, CRM, and WordPress plugins and even allows for custom HTML forms.
WordPress Popup Plugin FAQs
What Is the best popup plugin for WooCommerce?
What other popup plugins are available for WordPress?
Some other popular popup plugins include Ninja Popups, HubSpot WordPress Popups, Icegram, and Elementor Pro’s popup feature.
Can popups affect the loading speed of my WordPress site?
If not properly optimized, popups can slow down your WordPress website. However, most reputable popup builders are designed to have minimal impact on loading speed.
Are WordPress popup plugins mobile-friendly?
Most modern popup solutions are designed to be mobile-friendly. They adjust the size and layout of the popup to fit the screen size of the device the visitor is using. However, it’s always a good idea to check the plugin’s features before installing it.
We hope this guide has helped you find the best WordPress popup plugins for your business website.
You might also like the following marketing tips and tutorials:
- 18 Best Jetpack Alternatives for WordPress You Need
- 8 Best Push Notification Software and Tools
- 11 Best WordPress GDPR Plugins to Comply with EU Laws
- 7 Best Gamification Plugins for WordPress to Excite Your Fans
- 8+ Best Affiliate Marketing Plugins for WordPress