Are you looking for the best WordPress GDPR plugins for your business website?
If your WordPress website collects personal data about users in the European Union, it needs to be GDPR compliant. This may sound challenging to some website owners, but the good news is there are several WordPress plugins that can keep your site on the right side of the law.
In this article, we’ll share the best WordPress GDPR plugins to ensure your site is compliant.
What Is GDPR and Why Does It Matter?
GDPR is an abbreviation for General Data Protection Regulation. It’s a set of rules and regulations created by the European Union (EU) to protect individuals’ privacy and personal data within the EU. The laws came into effect in May 2018 and have impacted how businesses collect, store, and manage user data.
As a WordPress website owner, GDPR is important for the following reasons:
- Compliance: If you have EU visitors, you must ensure your website complies with GDPR. This means you should have clear privacy policies, obtain user consent for data collection, and implement security measures to protect user data.
- Trust: By complying with GDPR, you’re showing that you care about user privacy and are taking necessary steps to protect their data. This can help build trust and improve your brand reputation.
- Fines: Non-compliance with GDPR can result in hefty fines, as high as 20 million Euros or 4% of your annual global turnover, whichever is higher. So, it’s essential to comply with GDPR to avoid any potential financial penalties.
What to Look for in WordPress GDPR Plugins
Since most websites are dynamic, no single WordPress plugin can offer 100% GDPR compliance. However, many solutions have GDPR-friendly settings to help your site abide by the law.
Some things to look for in a WordPress GDPR plugin are as follows:
- User-friendly: The plugin should be simple for beginners to set up and use.
- Consent management: It should help you get permission from users before collecting their data, like with cookie consent banners or forms.
- Data access and control: Look for a plugin that lets users view, edit, or delete their data, as GDPR requires.
- Cookie control: The plugin should help you manage cookies on your site, including displaying a cookie consent notice and letting users choose which cookies to allow.
- Security: A great GDPR compliance plugin should have features to keep user data safe, like encryption or secure storage.
- Regular updates: Ensure the plugin is up-to-date and maintained by its developers to comply with any changes in GDPR requirements.
Top WordPress GDPR Plugins
So what are the best GDPR plugins for WordPress? Below, you’ll find our top picks to help you find the best solutions for your website.
1. RafflePress: GDPR Compliant Giveaways
RafflePress is the best WordPress giveaway plugin on the market. It lets you create viral giveaways and contests that help you generate buzz on social media, grow your email subscribers, and drive targeted traffic to your website.
The plugin includes an easy drag-and-drop builder, customizable giveaway templates, and countless giveaway entry methods to grow your list, boost brand awareness, and more. It also offers time-saving tools to display giveaway rules, manage users and draw random winners.
Additionally, you can publish any RafflePress giveaway on any post or page with the built-in WordPress block, shortcode, or distraction-free giveaway landing page without code or CSS.
Although it’s not specifically a GDPR compliance plugin, RafflePress includes several features that help you follow GDPR rules:
- RafflePress has a user-friendly interface, making it simple for anyone to create giveaways that meet GDPR requirements.
- When users enter your contests, RafflePress includes a consent checkbox. This ensures you get permission from users to collect and use their data.
- RafflePress only collects the data needed for the giveaway, like names and email addresses. This respects the GDPR principle of data minimization.
- RafflePress directly connects to popular email marketing services that are GDPR compliant. This way, you can manage user data securely and follow GDPR rules.
- If a user requests to see or delete their data, RafflePress lets you easily export or remove it, meeting another important GDPR requirement.
So if you need an easy way to create GDPR-compliant giveaways in WordPress, RafflePress is our top choice.
Price: You can get started with the free version of RafflePress to take this plugin for a test drive. However, we recommend upgrading to the premium version for the best features, starting at $39.50 per year.
2. SeedProd: GDPR Compliant Landing Pages
SeedProd is another popular WordPress plugin with GDPR-compliant functionality. It’s the best WordPress website and page builder, allowing you to create a professional website without touching a single line of code.
This SEO-friendly WordPress page builder comes with a drag-and-drop interface, hundreds of editable WordPress themes and landing page templates, and customizable blocks to add more features to any page.
Moreover, SeedProd can help you follow GDPR guidelines with the following options:
- When users sign up using SeedProd’s opt-in form block, you can add a consent checkbox. This ensures you get permission to collect and use their data.
- SeedProd only collects the data it needs for its features, like names and email addresses.
- The plugin works seamlessly with WooCommerce, which has built-in GDPR compliance features, allowing you to maintain high data protection.
- You can easily export, manage, and delete user data if they request it.
Whether you want to build an eCommerce site, create a custom WordPress theme, or make high-converting landing pages, SeedProd is the best choice to do so while complying with GDPR laws.
Price: The premium version of SeedProd starts from $39.50 per year. You can also try the free version from wordpress.org before upgrading to the best features.
3. MonsterInsights: GDPR-Friendly Google Analytics
MonsterInsights is the best Google Analytics plugin for WordPress, with over 3 million users. It helps you track important metrics on your website so you can make data-driven decisions to improve its performance.
This analytics tool avoids the complexities of the confusing Google Analytics dashboard. Instead, it shows easy-to-understand reports right inside WordPress.
MonsterInsights has several powerful features to help you follow GDPR rules, including:
- MonsterInsights is easy to install and configure, so you can set up GDPR-compliant tracking without any hassle.
- The plugin lets you disable user IDs and anonymize user IP addresses, so you’re not collecting personally identifiable information.
- Its EU Compliance addon integrates seamlessly with the Cookie Notice plugin to ensure you get user consent before setting cookies, complying with EU Cookie laws.
- There’s a way for users to opt out of Google Analytics tracking, respecting their privacy rights under GDPR.
- MonsterInsights lets you disable specific tracking features, such as demographics and interest reports to respect privacy laws.
Price: MonsterInsights‘ pricing starts from $99.50 per year. You can also get started with the free version.
4. WPForms: GDPR Compliant Forms
WPForms is the best form builder plugin for WordPress, with over 5 million users and built-in GDPR compliance features. You can use this plugin to build any type of form, including contact forms, booking forms, registration forms, order forms, and more.
It comes with a visual drag-and-drop form builder and hundreds of form templates, making form building easy for beginners. This plugin also comes with the following key features to help you comply with GDPR and privacy regulations:
- WPForms offers specific GDPR fields, like a consent checkbox, to add to your forms.
- The plugin allows you to disable user data storage, which means submitted form data won’t be stored on your website.
- With the GDPR enhancements option, you can stop WPForms from collecting IP addresses on your forms.
- WPForms lets you choose which data to collect, so you only gather what’s necessary.
- You can turn on GDPR protection for individual forms instead of all forms.
- It integrates with GDPR-compliant email marketing services and CRMs.
Price: The pricing for WPForms starts from $39.50 per year. There’s also a GDPR-compliant free version of WPForms.
5. Cookie Notice for GDPR & CCPA
Here are some of the features that make it a great choice for GDPR compliance:
- The plugin is quick to install and configure, making it easy to achieve compliance with cookie-related GDPR rules.
- You can create an attractive, informative cookie banner that informs users about third-party cookies used on your site and asks for their explicit consent.
- Users can accept or reject cookies, giving them control over their data and privacy, as required by GDPR.
- The plugin allows users to easily update their cookie settings, so they can change their minds anytime.
- It works well with caching plugins, ensuring your site stays fast while maintaining compliance.
- You can integrate seamlessly with MonsterInsights and WPML for multilingual websites.
Price: This plugin is entirely free with no premium version.
6. OptinMonster: GDPR-Friendly Lead Generation
OptinMonster is a powerful lead-generation tool that helps you create eye-catching opt-in forms and popups. You can make various signup forms and display them virtually anywhere on your website.
With its drag-and-drop campaign builder and pre-made templates, you can make floating bars, slide-in forms, gamification wheels, full-screen welcome mats, and more. There’s even a/b testing to help optimize campaigns for the best results.
This user-friendly tool also includes the following features for better GDPR compliance:
- You can add a consent checkbox to your forms, ensuring you get user permission to collect and process their data.
- OptinMonster also has a GDPR Audit Concierge team that can help if you’re audited for GDPR compliance.
- You can target visitors by geolocation to only show GDPR-compliant optins to customers in EU countries.
Price: OptinMonster costs $9 per month (billed annually).
7. GDPR Cookie Consent (CookieYes)
GDPR Cookie Consent is a dedicated WordPress GDPR and cookie consent plugin. It lets you create and display an alert bar with Accept and Reject options for users to accept or reject cookies when visiting your WordPress site.
The plugin is easy to set up, with options to customize your cookie notice colors, fonts, positioning, styles, and more.
However, you’ll need to list the specific cookies the plugin restricts. This plugin can’t block all cookies automatically, or it could break your site.
Some other key GDPR features of this plugin are as follows:
- You can categorize cookies as necessary or optional, allowing users to choose which cookies to enable.
- Users can modify their cookie preferences anytime, keeping you in line with GDPR’s user rights.
- Depending on your preferences, you can position the cookie banner at the top or bottom of the screen.
- The plugin also covers CCPA.
Price: The base version of GDPR Cookie Consent is free. You can upgrade to the premium version for $69 per year.
Complianz is another WordPress GDRP plugin that lets you make different cookie notices for various regions, including UK, Canada (Pipeda), US, and EU citizens. You can use this tool to create a cookie wall and different banners to make your site GDPR-friendly.
The key GDPR features of this plugin include the following:
- Complianz automatically detects cookies on your site, generates a cookie banner, and asks for user consent.
- You can tailor its compliance features based on the user’s location.
- The plugin keeps a record of user consent, making it easy for you to demonstrate compliance.
- Complianz stays up-to-date with changing regulations, helping you maintain GDPR compliance over time.
Price: Complianz pricing starts from $49 per year. There’s also a limited free version.
9. WP GDPR Compliance (Cookie Information)
WP GDPR Compliance is a handy WordPress plugin that lets you add a checkbox to specific website areas. Some of those areas can include WooCommerce pages for your online store, WordPress comments, and registration.
This plugin also provides essential tools for handling user data and consent, such as:
- It simplifies handling user requests to access, rectify, or erase their data.
- Users can visit a special Data Request page to access their information temporarily
- You can use it with popular WordPress plugins to provide a seamless experience.
- With the consent log, you can store user consent should you need to prove they gave it.
- The plugin can send you alerts when GDPR-related updates or actions are required.
Price: WP GDPR Compliance is free WordPress GDPR plugin. However, the developers welcome donations from generous users.
10. GDPR Cookie Compliance (Moove)
GDPR Cookie Compliance from Moove is a helpful plugin that lets you enable and disable cookies on your WordPress site. You can easily customize the cookie consent notice with your own colors, text, fonts, and logo to match your company branding.
Here are some of the ways that this plugin can help you with GDPR compliance:
- It lets you create a detailed cookie banner that tells users about the cookies your site uses and requests their consent.
- Users can accept or reject cookies and modify their preferences, to manage their privacy.
- You can sort cookies into groups, helping users to understand their options.
- The plugin supports multiple languages, ensuring users worldwide understand your cookie policies.
- It also prepares your website for consent requirements related to CCPA, DSGVO, PECR, and EU cookie law requirements.
Price: The basic version of GDPR Cookie Compliance from Moove is free. The premium version costs £59 (GBP).
Last is Cookiebot, a highly customizable consent management platform (CMP) for WordPress. It lets you show a cookie consent banner on your website, allowing users to manage consent required by GDPR, ePR, LGPD, ePrivacy, CCPA, and other privacy legislations.
Here’s what else makes Cookiebot a great WordPress GDPR plugin:
- Cookiebot scans your site to detect and categorize all cookies.
- Users can accept or reject specific cookie categories for more control over their privacy.
- The plugin performs monthly cookie scans to keep your cookie inventory up to date.
- Cookiebot keeps a record of user consent, providing you with documentation that can be vital for GDPR audits.
Price: Cookiebot is a free, open-source WordPress plugin. The premium version costs €12.
Which WordPress GDPR Plugin Should You Use?
The plugins you choose for your WordPress site depend on your specific GDPR needs. However, to help you decide, here are our top WordPress GDPR plugin picks:
- Use RafflePress to follow GDPR rules by including a consent checkbox on WordPress giveaways and contests.
- Use MonsterInsights to control Google Analytics tracking GDPR compliance in WordPress easily.
- Pick WForms for GDPR-compliant contact forms, registration forms, booking forms, and more with its custom GDPR field.
- Use Cookie Notice for GDPR & CCPA to show a cookie notice. It works with MonsterInsights and has many options to customize how cookie consent works on your site.
WordPress GDPR Plugins: FAQs
What are some other WordPress GDPR plugins I can use?
You can also use the following WordPress GDPR plugins: Iubenda all-in-one compliance, WP AutoTerms, GDPR Framework, Real Cookie Banner, and Delete Me.
Can a WordPress GDPR plugin guarantee full compliance with GDPR requirements?
Do I need a GDPR plugin if I don’t have EU visitors?
If your website doesn’t have visitors from the EU and doesn’t process any EU residents’ data, you may not need a GDPR plugin. However, it’s essential to consider other data privacy regulations that might apply, such as the CCPA in the United States.
There you have it!
We hope this guide helped you find the best WordPress GDPR plugins for your business. You might also like the following guide on the best WordPress email capture plugins.
If you liked this article, please subscribe to our YouTube Channel for RafflePress video tutorials. You can also find us on Twitter and Facebook.