How to Do a Giveaway to Grow Your Email List
If you want to grow your business effectively nowadays, you’ve got to build an email list. Maintaining a list of engaged email subscribers provides an easy way to nurture leads into paying customers.
But how do you build an email list quickly and efficiently? The answer is pretty simple. Run a giveaway.
In this article, we’ll show you how to do a giveaway to grow your email list with relevant leads. All so you can grow your business faster than ever.
- 1. Define Your Target Audience
- 2. Choose an Email Service Provider
- 3. Pick a Powerful Contest Builder
- 4. Choose a Disireable Prize
- 5. Define Your Email Giveaway Rules
- 6. Create and Publish Your Contest
- 7. Promote Your Email Giveaway
- 8. Choose a Giveaway Winner
- 9. Follow Up With Participants
- 10. Analyze Your Results
Benefits of Using Giveaways to Grow Your Email List
Running a giveaway to grow your email list has several benefits besides being an insanely quick way to increase your subscribers, including:
- Giveaways are a lot cheaper to run than other marketing methods such as Facebook ads.
- Subscribers from giveaways are people actually interested in the products and services your business offers, making them more likely to shop with you.
- Contests and giveaways incentivize immediate action. The sense of urgency and fear of missing out is irresistible to average audience members.
- With excellent email marketing, you can nurture leads from giveaways into customers and turn those customers into brand ambassadors to grow your business and sales further.
As you can see, running a giveaway can have massive potential in boosting business awareness and increasing product revenue.
Steps to Run a Giveaway To Grow Your Email List
You can’t build a giveaway to grow your email list, without putting some necessary steps in place first. So follow the steps below to get started and run a successful contest.
1. Define Your Target Audience
Your target audience is a group of people most likely to be interested in your business. These are the people you ultimately want to buy your products or services, so defining them is essential.
The easiest way to define your target audience is to create a buyer persona. That is a fictional person who represents your ideal customer and includes details of the personality, lifestyle, and interests that inform their buying decisions.
Include the following details in your buyer persona:
- Demographics: age, gender, income, and occupation
- Personal life: marital status, number of children, pets, and type of housing
- Career: job title, industry, responsibilities, salary, and career path
- Personality: introvert, extrovert, optimistic, quiet, and motivated
- Purchase behavior: social media use, online payment preference, mobile device, and internet browser
- Pain points: life goals, frustrations, accomplishments, fears, and regrets
With the above information, you’ll have a better understanding of who your ideal audience is. That will help with targeting your email giveaway to the right people online.
2. Choose an Email Service Provider
The next thing you’ll need to run an email giveaway is an email marketing service provider. An email service provider is a company that lets you collect email addresses (email list), so you can send your list email campaigns that promote your business.
When you run your giveaway, you’ll connect to your email service provider so anyone who subscribes as a result of entering, will end up on your list.
Here’s a list of the best email marketing services for small businesses to help you decide which platform is right for you.
3. Pick a Powerful Contest Builder
Once you’ve defined your ideal audience and picked an email marketing service, you’ll need a powerful contest builder to help you run your giveaway.
RafflePress makes it super easy to create and run a successful giveaway and includes everything you need to run a giveaway that skyrockets your email subscribers. Plus, it integrates with the most popular email marketing providers so you can create your email giveaway quickly, with no hassle.
Now let’s look at the steps involved to do a giveaway to grow your email list using RafflePress. Before you start, get your copy of RafflePress here, so you have everything you need to get up and running.
4. Choose a Disireable Prize
With your target audience, email marketing service, and giveaway builder in place, your next step is to choose a prize that resonates with your audience.
If you don’t have a great prize, people won’t put in the effort to enter your giveaway. So make sure you pick a prize that will attract a lot of attention.
Your prize should also be relevant to your brand and audience. Otherwise, people won’t be interested enough in your brand to stick around after.
So it’s a delicate balance between making the prize desirable enough to draw in an audience, and relevant enough to create genuine interest in your business.
Here are a few prize ideas to get you started:
- Book reviewers can run a book giveaway to attract avid readers
- Gym owners can offer exercise equipment as their grand prize to promote their gym
- Parent bloggers can run a blog giveaway with prizes of children’s toys
- Freelancers can provide a digital product or service to the winner
- Fashion brands can choose a clothing bundle as the grand prize
- Sports clubs can offer giveaways of sporting goods as a sports marketing and promotion idea
For even more inspiration, check out our list of contest prize ideas.
5. Define Your Email Giveaway Rules
The next step in running your email list giveaway is to create a set of rules and logistics to keep your contest fair.
Usually, you’d start with figuring out the type of contest you’ll run, for instance running a simple contest where people only have to enter for a chance to win.
But since we already know you want to do a giveaway to grow your email list, we know that you’ll require participants to subscribe to your email list in return for a giveaway entry.
You’ll also need to include the following details in your giveaway rules:
- The age requirements for entering
- Start and end dates and times for your contest
- How people can enter (subscribe to your email list)
- How often people can enter
- If people can gain additional entries (follow your social media channels etc.)
- How you’ll choose a winner (random draw)
After planning your contest, choosing a prize, and setting out your rules, it’s time to build your email giveaway.
6. Create and Publish Your Contest
Once you’ve installed and activated RafflePress, hover your mouse over the RafflePress logo and click Add New to create a new giveaway.
Choose a Giveaway Template
Upon clicking, you’re taken to a page where you can enter your contest name and choose a giveaway template.
First, enter your giveaway name. For example, if your prize is a Nintendo Switch, you can name your giveaway “Nintendo Switch Giveaway.”
Next, choose your giveaway template. RafflePress has several pre-made contest templates designed to reach specific giveaway goals. Since you want to grow your email list, you’ll need that particular template.
So hover your mouse over the Grow Your Email List template and click Use This Template.
After you’ll head to the giveaway builder. The builder automatically comes with an entry method to subscribe to your newsletter.
Connect Your Email Marketing Service
If you click the Join an Email Newsletter entry method, you’ll see several options on the left-hand side of the builder. That includes a place to enter a new label, how many entries people get from using that action, and if that option is mandatory.
The most important features are the Select an Integration dropdown box and Optin Confirmation Checkbox.
The integration dropdown lets you choose from several popular email newsletter services to connect to. While the optin confirmation box is a way to ensure that people subscribing to your newsletter, give you permission to add them to your list and send them emails.
The email marketing services you can integrate with RafflePress include:
- Constant Contact
You can also enter an HTML web form and connect to Zapier. This allows integration with tons of other apps and services. You can learn how to collect emails with Zapier in our documentation here.
To connect to an email marketing service like MailChimp, for example, choose from the dropdown list and click the orange connect button. From there, you’ll be asked to log in to your email service provider. Then follow the on-screen prompts to connect your account.
When you’re connected, click Get Lists to find your existing email lists and select the appropriate list from the dropdown. Then when you’re done, click Save Integration Details.
Design & Launch Your Giveaway
Next, it’s time to add your giveaway prize details, design your giveaway landing page, and publish your contest on your website.
We’ve created a step-by-step guide to creating an online contest here. So refer to the steps there to finish setting up your giveaway.
7. Promote Your Email Giveaway
With your email list giveaway published, you can’t sit around and wait for people to enter. You need to actively promote the giveaway to spread the word and generate excitement.
Contest promotion is an essential part of any good contest marketing strategy as it’ll help your giveaway go viral so you can grow your audience and generate tons of email subscribers.
The easiest promotion method is sharing your giveaway across all your social media channels and ask people to tag a friend in the comments to increase exposure further.
You can also promote your giveaway in the following ways:
- Send an email to your existing subscribers, asking them to share the contest with their contacts
- Add a popup to your website encouraging people to enter using a tool like OptinMonster
- Create a banner for your homepage linking to your contest landing page
- Use social proof notifications to evoke the fear of missing out with platforms like TrustPulse
- Use SmashBalloon’s suite of social media feed plugins to display a feed of people discussing your contest on your website.
Just remember to start promoting your giveaway weeks before you go live, to drive tons of traffic from the day you launch.
You can check out our list of contest promotion ideas for even more help to make your giveaway go viral.
8. Choose a Giveaway Winner
When your giveaway has ended, you’ll need to draw a winner. The fairest way to choose a winner for your email list giveaway is to pick a winner at random.
With RafflePress, it’s easy to pick a winner. At the end of your giveaway, navigate to RafflePress » Giveaways and click the Needs Winners link.
The next page shows you how many people entered and how many entries they have. To choose a random winner, click Pick Winner, select your options, and then click Choose Winners Now.
The winner is instantly highlighted, making it easy to email them with great news about their win.
You can learn more ways to pick a winner of a giveaway in this article.
9. Follow Up With Participants
Let’s not forget that after the end of your giveaway, you’ll have a list of new leads for your business. If you let them sit on your list without any further interaction, chances are those leads will go cold and unsubscribe, undoing all your hard work.
To keep your new audience engaged with your brand, follow up with an email after the giveaway, thanking them for entering, and inviting them to join again in the future.
You could also offer participants a commiseration prize in the form of a discount on their next purchase, to help build a relationship and convert them into paying customers.
10. Analyze Your Results
Lastly, it’s a smart move to analyze the results of your email giveaway to see if you were successful in meeting your goals. Since your goal is to grow your email list, you can measure your results by calculating how many new subscribers you gained from running your giveaway vs. the size of your list before.
You can also use a WordPress plugin like MonsterInsights to track contest landing page visits, referral traffic, eCommerce traffic, and other website activity.
With smart dashboard reports, you can see the results within your WordPress dashboard, removing the need to access a separate website like Google Analytics.
By analyzing your traffic, you can see which contest promotion strategies drove the most traffic to your giveaway page. Then you can use those insights to make improvements on future giveaways.
There you have it!
Now that you know how to do a giveaway to grow your email list go ahead and get started with running a contest!
Not only will it help you develop relationships with your ideal audience, but you’ll also skyrocket your email list, generate laser-targeted leads, and attract new customers to grow your business.